The sight of a beautiful cake can bring smiles on everyone’s face, memories, thoughts of celebration, and happiness all around. The anxiousness and excitement with the first bite and the bag of emotions which open up as you savor every bit of the flavour, cannot be expressed in words…
One of the biggest surprises since I started my blog was a gift I received from my brother n sister in laws recently; a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer…!! Though I am a beginner and still exploring, it was such a beautiful piece of gift to my baking dreams…
The timing of the mixer was perfect as my friends anniversary was around the corner as I was still half minded on what to cook. And that answered my confusion; a Cake it is, with all Chocolate. Perfect to kindle the sweet memories for this lovely couple…
Chocolate cake is best known for its taste, and is unbeatable when combined with a chocolate frosting. It is super soft, moist, has the perfect balance of cake and frosting, and is light and creamy.
So here I am sharing my best chocolate cake recipe with a yummy delicious chocolate frosting. Try it out, and you will surely love it…
Prep time: 1 hr 30 mins
Serves: 6-7 servings
For chocolate cake
- 2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For chocolate frosting
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (tempered)
- 1½ cup butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
Preparation of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and grease with butter using a brush.
- To prepare the cake, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl by sifting flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter until it is softened. Ensure that the butter is brought to room temperature before softening.
- Beat granulated sugar and brown sugar into the butter, until blended well.
- Add eggs one at a time to the butter and beat well. Add the vanilla extract too.
- Slowly add the prepared dry ingredients to the bowl in portions, alternating with buttermilk, until the cake batter is mixed well without any lumps.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pans and place in the oven. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes and until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are done, take them out of the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Unmold the cakes by running a knife or a rubber spatula over the sides of the pan. Carefully flip them over.
Preparation of chocolate frosting
- In a small bowl, whisk cocoa powder with water until smooth and keep it aside.
- To temper the chocolates, place it in a double boiler, or in a metal bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Stir it continuously using a rubber spatula while it melts and keep measuring the temperature. The mix should not be too runny and should melt uniformly. Ensure that the temperature does not exceed 120 degrees. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk butter until soft, followed by whisking and adding cocoa mix and salt. Stop the mixer and scrape down its sides.
- Add powdered sugar, whisk well.
- Turn mixer into medium and add tempered chocolate and half of the heavy whipping cream slowly, and beat well. Add the remaining mix until you have reached the desired consistency. It should be light and creamy and spreadable.
- It can be stored in an airtight container, make sure to bring to room temperature before apply for frosting.