Thanksgiving is around the corner, it’s time to get your Stuffing and Roasting ready…!! If you are not a turkey person like me, then this Classic Whole Roasted Chicken recipe is what you have been looking for. Wow your guests with this Juicy Buttery Delight, and celebrate some good family time… Happy Thanksgiving…!!
I love chicken, and if it’s a Whole Roasted one… Yumm!! Cooking with chicken is easy compared to a turkey, don’t you think so? A turkey is huge for a small family, its cooking requires a lot of preparation, and after the meal you end up with plenty of leftovers. With a turkey I would prefer a dish with just the legs or so instead of a full one.
This is my second thanksgiving since I have been in the US, and this time I am so excited to cook and celebrate it at my home. Last year I had a great time visiting my friend and her newborn at Atlanta. The drive via Nashville, Chattanooga, visiting places like the Jack Daniels distillery, Ruby Falls, and the great feast with friends, all those wonderful memories are still alive in my mind.
And with those, I am penning down here my version of a Whole Roast Chicken recipe. A perfectly cooked dish, moist and juicy on the inside with a buttery-crispy-charred skin, rubbed with lemon, rosemary n garlic; Pair it with grilled veggies, mashed potatoes, and your favorite cocktail. There you go… A Memorable Thanksgiving Dinner…!
Some important tips for a perfect roast chicken:
- Season generously with salt and pepper, it makes the chicken juicy and the skin crispy.
- Add ingredients for more flavour; like spices, herbs, lemon, vegetables, oil / butter.
- Rub the spice mix and butter/oil under the skin as well, this helps to make the dish more flavorful.
- Stuff the cavities with lemon, herbs, and onions.
- Basting is key, repeat as often as possible. Your chicken would be moist and juicy.
- If you prefer a charred look, broil for another 6 minutes more after cooking.
Enjoy, Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Follow me on Instagram, try out the recipes and tag #pepperdelightblog to all your pictures of Pepper Delight recipes you prepare.
Prep time: 30 mins; Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 sprigs of rosemary leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 stick butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ of a lemon zest (grated)
- Salt and pepper
- Stuffing: 1 white onion, rosemary sprig, lemon (sliced)
- Veggies: potatoes & carrots
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing butter, 1 sprig of rosemary leaves (finely chopped), garlic, lemon zest, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Take the whole chicken and remove its giblets and pin feathers, clean inside out and pat dry.
- Season generously with salt and pepper outside and inside of the chicken.
- Rub the marinade over the chicken, under the loosened skin and cavities.
- Stuff the cavities with lemon, rosemary sprig, and an onion (sliced). Tie the legs together with a kitchen twine, and tuck the wings behind by lifting the tips up and over the back.
- Place the chicken breast-side up on the roasting pan/iron skillet greased with butter/cooking spray.
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes in total, basting it at 15 minutes intervals with the dripping sauce from the chicken. At 30 minutes of the roast, add the sliced potatoes and carrots around the chicken and stir in the dripping gravy.
- Cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 170 degrees Fahrenheit, and the outer skin turns golden and crispy.
- If you prefer a charred skin, set the oven to a broil for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes.
Carve the chicken and serve along with veggies, garnished in the gravy.