It’s been a while since I have baked a cake and I was looking for something that I haven’t tried before and befitting this beautiful weather. Peeking into my fridge, I saw the pack of fresh berries my husband bought a few days ago to make his favorite smoothies, and that’s when it struck me, why not try a mixed berry pound cake??
So here is my version of a sweet, moist, mixed berry pound cake with a lemon glaze, perfect to welcome this wonderful springtime…
Pound cake is originally made with equal proportion of flour, butter, eggs and sugar, and baked in a loaf pan or a bundt mold. Nowadays to make it lighter and fluffier we do add raising agents like baking powder or baking soda in various proportions. You can use any of the berries or all three berries together – blueberry, blackberry and strawberry.
This cake tastes so good and yummy in a way that you will just keep on eating. Do try it out and let me know…
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Baking time: 65 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6 servings
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries
For Lemon Glaze
- 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
Preparation of cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Apply butter to the pan and keep it aside.
- In a small bowl, sift and mix dry ingredients; flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, using a hand mixer or an electric mixer, beat butter (melted at room temperature) until light and fluffy. Add sugar and grated lemon zest and beat well.
- Add eggs one at a time alternating with the dry ingredient and eggs. After mixing it well, add vanilla essence and milk at this stage. I used 2% reduced fat milk in this recipe.
- Fold in berries into the batter mix, and using a rubber spatula mix it evenly. Batter will be slightly dense. Make sure you do not over stir.
- Pour this batter into a greased pan and bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool down for 15 minutes in the pan. Remove cake from the pan by flipping it and let it to cool for another 10 minutes. In the meantime prepare the lemon glaze.
Preparation of lemon glaze
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice with powdered sugar. Whisk it slowly by adding the lemon juice till it turns into a smooth glaze which is perfect to coat the cake. Do not make it syrupy.
- Place the cake over a wire rack and spoon the glaze over the cake. Allow the glaze to run down the sides of the cake.
- Leave it to set for 30 minutes.