Relish yourself with a delightful and healthy summer treat made with whole wheat and berries, a perfect choice for a breakfast or a dessert…!
Its berry season and a wonderful time to bake delicious desserts with these colorful fruits which are a pleasure to your eyes and taste. A cobbler to me is the right start… Cake crust with fruits; Yummm, my favorite kind of dessert!
I had previously uploaded a Peach cobbler recipe, but this is a different preparation as the berries are naturally sweet.
Another twist I have tried to introduce is replacing flour with wheat flour, which results in a denser dish… perfect for a quick filling.
This whole wheat berry cobbler is the right combination of sweet and sour flavour. You can either use a mix of different berries or even pick just one, whichever suits your choice and taste. The berry mix on the base is crusted with a cake mix and sprinkled with sugar on top… overall… Delicious…!!!
And to serve, make it a combo with Vanilla ice cream… a picture perfect summer dessert …!!!
Prep time: 30 – 45 minutes
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 cups mixed berries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Apply some butter on the baking pan and keep aside.
- Combine berries with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, oats, baking powder and salt. Whisk it by adding melted butter until crumbly. Add milk and stir it to aerate the batter.
- Spread the berry mix in the pan.
- By using a large spoon, drop the batter on top of the berries.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes until the crust become golden brown. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.