Here is a simple & a spicy fish fry recipe from my mother’s cookbook, something which has been in my palate right from the days I could ever remember. 🙂
Fish Fry (Meen Varathathu) is very common and one of the most favorite dishes in Kerala. This recipe is as simple as it can get, and goes well with any type of fish. You can find many variations of this dish with different measurements of the spices used, and here is my take with Silver Pomfret (Avoli).
Prep time : 30
Serves : 2 servings
Silver Pomfret (Avoli) : 1 kg
Red Chili powder : 1 tbsp
Pepper powder : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : ¼ tbsp.
Salt : as required
Lemon juice : as required
Lemon slice : to garnish
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Clean fish and make slits on both sides.
- Prepare the masala by mixing the red chili powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt, and lemon juice. The masala should have a thick consistency, and evenly coat the fish with it on both sides. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan, and add curry leaves. It helps to enhance the flavour while frying the fish. Place the fish carefully in the oil and allow it to fry until it becomes nice and brown, and flip to cook the other side.
- Once cooked, place the fish on a paper towel to drain the oil.
- Squeeze a lemon on top of the fish, and serve.
Serve warm with Rice.
Adjust the spice level to your choice by varying the amounts of chili & pepper powder.